Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 c. onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 canned anchovies, chopped
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, quartered, optional
- 2 TBSP capers
- 3/4 c. Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 1 lb. angel hair pasta
- Salt and sugar, to taste
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
- Cook pasta al dente according to package.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, deep sauté pan. When the oil is hot, saute the onions until they’re soft and translucent, about 4-5 minutes. While the onions are cooking, stir in the chopped anchovies along with some of the oil from the can; then add the finely chopped garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the tomato paste to the pan and cook it for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, chili pepper flakes, artichoke hearts, olives, and capers. Bring the sauce to a simmer, then lower the heat to low to maintain a gentle simmer, 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and sugar, if desired.
- Stir the parsley into the pasta sauce. Add some pasta water into the sauce to thin it if it has become too thick.