This salad is really tasty and so easy to make, especially if you use a rotisserie chicken. It’s a perfect summer dish. The original recipe called for warm dressing, but since I’m not a fan of wilted lettuce, I let the dressing cool after cooking before adding it to the salad.
The dressing would also be really good over rice noodles too.
Recipe adapted from the April 2011 issue of Cooking Light.
- 6 c. mixed lettuce
- 2 c. shredded boneless rotisserie chicken breast
- 2. c. fresh bean sprouts
- 1 c. shredded carrots
- 2/3 c. light coconut milk
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- 2 TBSP creamy peanut butter
- 1 TBSP fresh lime juice
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 1/8 tsp. (or to taste) ground red pepper
- 2 TBSP peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Lime wedges
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine coconut milk and next 5 ingredients (through red pepper) in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, and let cool.
- Pour cooled coconut milk mixture over lettuce mixture. Sprinkle with peanuts; serve with lime wedges.
Thai Chicken Salad:
Here’s another really tasty recipe for quick Reuben sandwiches. To me what makes this sandwich is the homemade thousand islandish dressing. It’s easy, so don’t skip that step.
Thousand Island Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 c. mayo
- 1 c. ketchup
- 1/2 c. sweet pickle relish (I only had hot dog relish which is a mix of mustard and relish)
- 1 TBSP sugar
- Rye bread
- Leftover corned beef, sliced and heated
- sour kraut
- Swiss cheese
- Thousand island dressing
- Thousand Island Dressing: mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Sandwiches: take a slice of rye bread, add corned beef, sour kraut, swiss cheese, and some dressing. Top with rye bread. Butter the top of the bread and put the sandwich butter side down in a hot skillet. Cook until bread is browned. Add some butter to the now top of the sandwich and flip it over and cook until browned.
Quick Reuben Sandwiches:
This dressing is so good. It’s good on salads and fish tacos. We loved this dressing on fish tacos so much that we had fish tacos 2 times in one week.
- 1 c. mayo
- 1/3 milk
- 2 tsp. chopped cilantro
- 1-2 jalapenos, minced
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. onion, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
- Whisk all ingredients together.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Top your favorite salad or taco and enjoy!
Creamy Jalapeno and Cilantro Dressing/Sauce:
Chuy’s is one of the most fantabulous tex-mex restaurants on the planet. Their sauces define d’lish. One of their tasty sauces is a creamy jalapeno sauce. Oh, it’s so good. Here’s a copycat recipe that’s pretty close. It’s tastes awesome on taco salads, fish tacos…really anything.
- 1 c. mayo
- 1/4 c. buttermilk
- 1/4 c. chopped jalapeno
- 1/4 c. tomatillo salsa
- 1/4 c. cilantro
- 1 1/2 packets (total 1 1/4 oz.) dry ranch dressing mix
- Combine mayo through cilantro in a blender untill smoth.
- Pour in a bowl, and whisk in rand dressing mix.
- Chill and serve.
Creamy Jalapeno Sauce:
This salad is delicious! So refreshing, tasty, and filling. The dressing is so flavorful, that it’s now our new favorite salad dressing. Great salad for a warm summer day.
Adapted from Prudence Pennywise.
- 8 fresh won ton or 6 egg roll sheets
- cooking spray
- 8 c. chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 c. chopped cooked chicken
- 2 large oranges, peeled, or canned mandarin oranges
- 2 large avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 c. sugar snap peas (either raw or blanched)
- 1/2 c. chopped cilantro
- 4 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/3 c. roasted salted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Ginger Soy Dressing:
- 4 TBSP rice vinegar
- 4 TBSP sugar
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 TBSP grated fresh ginger
- 2 TBSP canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat won tons with spray and cut into strips. Bake on foil lined cookie sheet until crispy, turning once, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, chicken, oranges, avocado, sugar snap peas, cilantro, scallions, peanuts, sesame seeds, and won ton strips.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl; then drizzle the salad with dressing and serve.
Asian Chicken Salad: