This chili is solid. I found the recipe and the always tasty fashionably foodie. You can cook on the stove-top or in the crock. It was also really good the next day on a taco salad with creamy jalapeno dressing.
- 4 cans kidney beans, undrained (I used 2 cans)
or 1 pound dried kidney beans, soaked overnight and cooked until tender, with cooking liquid
- 1 lb. ground beef (I used turkey)
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper or jalapeno, chopped
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 2 quarts tomatoes with juice (or two big 28 oz cans)
- 1 big (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1/8 tsp. allspice (the secret ingredient!)
- 1 bay leaf (I used more because mine weren’t that fresh)
- Grated cheese
- In a large stockpot, cook ground beef/turkey, onion, and green pepper and/or jalapeno till meat is brown. Drain fat. Stir in undrained tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, basil, salt, sugar, pepper, allspice and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover, simmer at least 45 minutes, until reduced and thickened, or cook in Crock Pot on LOW for 3-5 hours (for the crock pot, omit juice from one jar of tomatoes.) taste before serving, add a sprinkle of salt or sugar as needed.
- Top with cheese.
Cook Off Chili: