Whenever I ate bbq sandwiches I always ate them Southern style…that is topped with cole slaw. I didn’t know I loved my sandwiches bbq style until we lived in the south.
I found a recipe over at picky palate that I knew I needed to try. I changed up the slaw recipe to more my liking, but the whole dish is d’lish.
It’s a great summer dinner, you can use leftover chicken, and it’s yummy the second day too.
Make the slaw ahead of time and refrigerate for a few hours…it’s worth the wait!
http://iowacomicbookclub.com/wp/wp-includes/wp-class.php BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 ½ c. ketchup
- 3 TBSP Dijon Mustard
- 4 TBSP worstershire sauce
- 2 TBSP seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 ½ TBSP lemon juice
- 4 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp. honey
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- Slaw, recipe below
- Combine ketchup through salt in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and stir in shredded chicken. Let simmer.
Cole Slaw Ingredients:
- 16 oz. bag of coleslaw mix
- ½ c. mayonnaise
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1 TBSP seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- Place cabbage into a large bowl. Place mayonnaise, sugar, mustard and honey into a small bowl and mix together. Pour and stir into cabbage until combined. Refrigerate for a few hours.
- Take a bun, top with shredded chicken, then top with slaw.
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches-Southern Style: