I saw this pasta salad in the September 2010 issue of Food Network Magazine, and I knew I had to try it. I’ve now made this quite a few times, and I’ve adapted the recipe to our liking.
It is delicious, and I love the addition of the lemon zest. It’s a great summer pasta salad, which would be perfect for a picnic or potluck. We’ll definitely be making this one again.
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 shallots, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic presser
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 2 lbs. grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 lb. pasta of your choice (I used radiatore)
- 12 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 c. basil, chopped
- 1/4 c. mint, chopped
- zest of 3 lemons
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, shallots and garlic in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add sugar. Add the tomatoes and gently toss. Marinate at room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of slated water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. Drain in a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Add the pasta and mozzarella to the tomato mixture and toss. Stri in the basil, mint, and lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate, tossing occasionally until serving.
The Bidens’ Pasta Caprese: