Note: make the dressing ahead so it can chill before serving.
Recipe adapted from Carlsbad Cravings.
- 1 lb. ground beef, turkey, or chicken
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/2 c. mild salsa
- 8 c. Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 1/2 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 14 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz. can of corn, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 c. red onions, chopped
- 2 avocados, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 c. (or more) pepper jack or shredded cheese, grated
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 2 large tomatillos, husks removed and roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno, deveined and seeded, if desired, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- 1 c. sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 TBSP ranch seasoning mix
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- Milk, as needed to thin
- Meat: brown meat over medium heat in a large skillet, and drain any excess fat. Stir in all the seasonings and salsa and simmer for 1-2 minutes until thickened and warmed through.
- Salad: put all salad ingredients in a large bowl, top with meat, and dressing.
- Dressing: add all ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth. Chill before serving! Dressing may thicken in the fridge, so whisk in some milk before serving.
Taco Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing: