This is the perfect side dish to prepare ahead of time. Tastes like delicious twice baked potato filling.
- 4-5 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
- 8-10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2-3 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 c. butter, melted
- 3-4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1/2 – 3/4 c. milk
- 1/2 c. green onions, thinly sliced (reserve some for garnish)
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place the garlic cloves on a sheet of foil large enough to enclose the garlic; then drizzle garlic with olive oil. Seal foil tightly and roast for 15-20 minutes, until garlic is soft and creamy. Remove from oven and mash garlic into a paste.
- Meanwhile, cut potatoes and add to a pot and cover with water. Boil over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes, or until soft, and then drain.
- In a large bowl add all of the ingredients and mash until creamy. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Either bake for 45 minutes or cover and refrigerate until ready to bake. If baking later, remove from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, then bake for 45 minutes, or until heated through.
Make Ahead Creamy Mashed Potatoes: