This soup is to die for! It’s delicious served with smoke gouda grilled cheese (our favorite combination)! All four of us love this soup, and it’s great in the winter AND the summer, which is great because we have so much fresh basil in the summer.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 package of petite carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (28 oz.) cans whole Roma tomatoes
- 1 (32 o.z) carton vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 TBSP granulated sugar (may need to use more–all depends on how sweet your tomatoes are)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 oz. refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
- Grated pecorino Romano cheese for serving
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat; add the olive oil, and then add the carrots and onion and saute until soft; then add the garlic and continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, puree the tomatoes until smooth and add to your crockpot. When the carrots, onion, and garlic are soft add them to the blender and puree until smooth–you can add some of the tomato puree to help the blender along; then add to your crockpot. Add the vegetable broth through salt and pepper, and stir to combine. You’ll likely need to adjust the sugar, salt, and pepper after it finishes cooking.
- Cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours. Remove lid and add tortellini and cook for 15 minutes or until tortellini are heated through. Then stir in the cream or half and half, taste and adjust seasoning.
- Ladle soup in individual bowls and top with basil and and grated pecorino Romano cheese.