This Posole is so easy to make and so good. Ellie, the pickiest of pickiest eaters ate this dish and she proclaimed it delicious and 5 star worthy! Wow!! She did ask “what is that mushy vegetable?” I told her corn because she “tried” hominy a few days ago and said she didn’t like it, but she liked the “corn” in the Posole. So in our house we had chicken and corn soup.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light, April 2014
- 10 canned tomatillos
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 chicken breast halves, cut up in bite size pieces
- 6-7 c. chicken broth
- 2 cans hominy, drained
- Limes, quartered
- Combine tomatillos through black pepper in food processor, and process until almost smooth.
- Heat a soup pot oven over medium high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and cook for 4 minutes; then add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken and saute until the outside of the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the tomatillo mixture, broth, and hominy and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with limes.