Sorry it’s not the prettiest picture of this most delicious soup. We love this tortilla soup, and have been making it for years. You choose your toppings and make it your own, and yes the toppings are important! Adapted from Emeril’s Favorite Tortilla Soup.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 c. chopped onions
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 6 c. chicken stock
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Toppings: 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro leaves; 1 lime quartered; Tortilla chips; 1 avocado, slice; shredded cheese; chipotle crema, see below
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1 tsp. (or more or less to your liking) of chipotle in adobo sauce
- In a Dutch oven or large heavy pot, heat the oil on medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, peppers, salt, cumin, and coriander for 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add the cilantro and lime juice, and stir well.
- Combine sour cream and chipotles in a bowl; set aside.
- Ladle soup in bowls, top with tortilla chips, cilantro, lime juice, avocado, shredded cheese, and/or chipotle crema.