Our oldest has been asking for beef stew of late (he loves the beef stew at school), so I finally got around to asking Nana for her recipe. It tasted just like I remember…tasty warm comfort food. I used the crock pot because I didn’t have 5 hours to babysit my oven.
- 1 1/2 to 2 lb. beef stew meat
- 2 TBSP minute Tapioca
- 6 carrots, cut
- 1 c. celery, chopped
- 1 8 oz. can stewed tomatoes
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. fresh bread crumbs
- 2-3 potatoes, chopped in 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 c. peas
- Oven directions: Preheat oven to 250F. Mix everything except for the peas in a dutch oven. Cover and cook for 5 hours. In the last 20 minutes add the peas.
- Crock Pot directions: Mix everything except for the peas in a crock pot. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours, or until meat is fork tender. In the last 20 minutes add the peas.
Nana’s Beef Stew: