This chili recipe comes from the October 2008 issue of Southern Living, and is one darn good chili! The chili went really well with the extra cheesy grilled cheese too and a tossed green salad!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 TBSP vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 TBSP chili powder (I used 1 TBSP chili powder and 1 TBSP ancho chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16-oz.) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
- Garnish: sour cream
- Sauté chopped onion in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender; add garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
- Add turkey, chili powder, and cumin, and cook, stirring often, 8 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Stir in tomato paste, and cook 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and next 5 ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Garnish, if desired.
Quick Turkey Chili: