It seems as though I’m on a tofu kick lately. The “skillet dry fry” as I call it is my favorite way to prepare tofu. But tonight I baked it in the oven. Baking is definitely easier and far less time consuming, but I like the “skillet dry fry” method the best. Bottom line is that I’ll eat tofu prepared both ways.
I came across a teriyaki sauce, and that got my creative juices rolling. I prepared the recipe as directed, then adapted for my own liking, and the result is absolutely delicious! This sauce would be excellent on chicken or beef too…it’s very versatile.
- 2 packages of extra firm tofu, sliced however you like
- cooking spray or olive oil
- Line one baking sheet with 6 layers of paper towels. Cut tofu and arrange tofu on baking sheet. Top the tofu with 6 more layers of paper towels. Place another baking sheet on top of the paper towels fro 30 to 45 minutes–this provides the weight needed to extract the water from the tofu.
- Preheat over to 350. Take a baking sheet and line with foil. Spray foil with cooking spray; then arrange tofu in a single layer. Either spray tofu with cooking spray or drizzle with oil. Bake for 20 minutes, or until tofu is golden brown–as tofu begins to swell, that’s the time to take it out. If you overcook the tofu it will be chewy, but I like denser chewy tofu because it has more of a meaty texture.
- You can now refrigerate the tofu for later or use it now.
- 1/2 c. soy sauce
- 1/4 c. fresh ginger, minced (if you grate it you’ll use less ginger)
- 1 TBSP garlic powder
- 3/4 c. water
- 1/2 c. honey
- 2 TBSP corn starch
- 2 TBSP water
- chopped green onion
- Heat the soy sauce and fresh ginger over medium heat in a skillet or saucepan. Stir in the garlic powder and turn the heat down to medium-low. Add 3/4 cup water and the honey and stir until dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cornstarch and 2 TBSP water until completely dissolved, and then slowly add to the sauce while stirring continuously. Keep stirring over medium-low heat until the sauce starts to simmer and begins to thicken.
Tofu Teriyaki Stir Fry:
- Teriyaki Sauce (see above)
- Veggies of your choice (I used broccoli, zucchini, and red pepper)
- Olive oil or sesame oil
- Steamed rice
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add veggies and stir fry until nearly done. Add cooked tofu and Teriyaki Sauce and toss to coat. Serve over steamed rice and garnish with chopped green onion.