Buffalo wings are delicious, so why not make a salad around those familiar flavors? We created this Latin-inspired take on the traditional combination of buffalo wings and blue cheese dressing. The parsley and blue cheese of the traditional dressing are replaced with cilantro and cotija cheese, a crumbly cheese often used to top Mexican dishes, and it’s absolutely delicious. Everyone we’ve ever served this to has raved about it.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 12-oz bottle of buffalo wing sauce
- 4 TBSP butter
- 1/4 cup Louisiana-style hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Combine chicken and buffalo wing sauce in a gallon-sized zip-top bag. Marinate for 1 hour.
- Melt butter in a small pot, whisk in hot sauce to combine. Grill chicken over medium-high heat until the internal temperature reaches 170°F. Brush the butter and hot sauce mixture over the chicken during cooking.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 to 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- 6 oz cotija cheese
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender. If necessary, water can be added to thin the dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Grilled chicken, sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 2 c. grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper
- 1 c. corn, roasted or grilled
- 2 oz. cotija cheese, for garnish
- Mix together all of the ingredients, except for the cotija cheese, in a large bow. Toss with the dressing, plate and top with cotija cheese.
Buffalo Chicken Salad with Cilantro-Cotija Dressing: