This recipe comes from the box of Quaker Quick Barley in my pantry. It was pretty good, and a good way to use up the barley. Not superb, but warming and filling on a very cold winter day.
- 1 14.5 oz. can tomatoes, diced, undrained
- 1 16 oz. jar of salsa
- 1 14 oz. can chicken broth
- 1 c. quick cooking barley
- 3 c. water
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can of corn (I used 1 1/2 c. frozen corn)
- 3 c. chicken breast, cooked and cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced (my addition)
- Top with: sour cream, grated cheese, cilantro, or avocado
- Combine first 7 ingredients (through cumin) in a 6 quart saucepan. Over high heat, bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, corn and chicken; increase heat to high until chili comes to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for another 5 minutes, or until barley is tender. If it’s too thick, add more broth or water.
- Serve with cornbread.
Chicken Barley Chili: