We love our hashbrowns smothered (with onions) and peppered (with jalapenos). Last night we had breakfast for dinner, and I made my smothered and peppered hashbrowns, and they were delicious!
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1/4 c. sliced pickled jalapenos (you can chop them up if you like)
- Frozen hashbrown potatoes (the kind that have not been fried or cooked yet–just frozen potato shreds)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a nonstick skillet, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, and stir them occasionally, but let them caramelize. Once the onions are caramelized, add the jalapenos and cook a few minutes longer.
- In another nonstick skillet, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the frozen potatoes. Add salt and pepper. Don’t fiddle with the potatoes. Let them set and get crispy golden on the bottom side. Once crispy and golden, flip the potatoes to cook the other side, and add some salt and pepper. This process can take 15-20 minutes. Just be patient, it’s worth it.
- To serve: put hashbrowns on your plate and top with the onion jalapeno mixture.
Smothered and Peppered Hashbrowns: