This basic recipe comes from Gourmet. It is excellent! The roasted veggies melt in your mouth. I added red pepper to the roasted veggie medley, because I had one in my fridge I needed to use up and I thought it would be tasty. Definitely a great dish to bring to a pot luck, picnic, or any other event where the food will sit out. A definite crowd pleaser with lots of flavor!
- 1.5 lbs eggplant, diced into 1.5 inch cubes
- 3/4 lbs zucchini, diced into 1.5 inch cubes
- 1 red pepper, julienned (my addition)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1.25 cups pearl barley
- 2.5 – 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
Roast Eggplant, Zucchini, Red Pepper, and Tomatoes:
- Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, and tomatoes with 5 tablespoons oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl, then spread in 2 oiled large shallow (1-inch-deep) baking pans.
- Roast vegetables in oven, stirring occasionally and switching position of pans halfway through baking, until vegetables are golden brown and tender, 20 to 25 minutes total.
- Combine vegetables in 1 pan and cool, reserving other pan for cooling barley.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 3- to 4-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook scallion, cumin, coriander, and cayenne, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add barley and cook, stirring until well coated with oil, 2 minutes more.
- Add broth and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until all of liquid is absorbed and barley is tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Transfer to reserved shallow baking pan and spread to quickly cool, uncovered, to room temperature, about 20 minutes. (I skipped this step and just assembled the salad)
Make Dressing and Assemble Salad:
- Whisk together lemon juice, garlic, sugar, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 3 tablespoons oil in a large bowl.
- Add barley, roasted vegetables, and remaining ingredients to bowl with dressing and toss until combined well.