This banana bread recipe is a family recipe and family favorite. I got the recipe from my mom, and she got it from my grandmother, and once I got it, I made a few changes. This banana bread is really good, and every time I make the bread it reminds me of my childhood.
You can lighten this recipe up by substituting applesauce for the oil. Tastes just as good!
- 3-4 ripe bananas, mashed (or increase to 5 bananas and decrease oil to 1/4 c.)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or substitute 1/2 c. applesauce or use 1/4 c. oil)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs beaten lightly
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 TBSP milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (I usually omit)
- Blend mashed bananas, eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients together (flour through baking powder) and add alternately to the wet ingredients with the milk and lemon juice.
- Stir in nuts if desired.
- Pour into greased and floured loaf pan.
- Place in a cold oven. Set oven to 300F and cook for about 90 minutes (start checking at 75 minutes), or until loaf tests done.
Best Banana Bread