This hearty and healthy dinner was enjoyed by everyone, and it’s easy to make which is always a plus.
Adapted from Taste of Home Casseroles, 2011.
- 2 tsp. oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 1/2 c. skim milk
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1 16oz. package frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 c. cooked chicken, cubed (can use rotisserie chicken)
- 2 TBSP Parmesan cheese
- 1 c. all purpose flour
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. skim milk
- 3 TBSP oil
- 1 TBSP fresh parsley, minced
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat; then add the onion and cook until tender. Stir in the flour, basil, thyme, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened; then add the vegetables, chicken, and cheese and reduce to low.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine four through salt. In a small bowl combine milk, oil and parsley; then stir into dry ingredients until just combined.
- Transfer hot chicken mixture to a greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish. Drop biscuit batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto chicken mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 375* for 30-40 minutes or until biscuits are lightly browned.
Chicken and Biscuits Casserole: