Recipe adapted from Carlsbad Cravings.
- 2 lbs. thinly sliced top sirloin, flank steak, or rib eye
- Sesame oil
- 1/2 c. soy sauce
- 1/2 of an Asian pear, grated (may sub sweet apple like Fuji)
- 6 TBSP brown sugar
- 2 TBSP sweet Japanese rice wine (may sub dry sherry)
- 2 TBSP sesame oil
- 2 TBSP Gochuchang
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TBSP freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 6 Scallions chopped
- Rice, salad greens, Cucumbers and Carrot salad, kimchi, etc.
- Add all of the marinade ingredients to a freezer bag and whisk to combine. Add steak and turn to coat. Cover and marinate 30 minutes at room temperature or refrigerate up to overnight (flank requires overnight).
- When ready to cook, let beef sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Heat some sesame oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Working in 4 batches, add meat (grabbing meat with tongs so excess marinade drips off) in a single layer and let sear 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook and addition 1-2 minutes or until browned but barely cooked through then add sesame seeds and stir to combine. Transfer to a plate and cover tightly with foil. Repeat.
- Assemble Bowls: Add salad greens and rice to bowl. Top with beef, cucumbers and carrots, kimchi, etc.