Recipe adapted from Lauren’s Latest.
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 lbs. ground chicken or turkey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2/3 c. baby carrots
- 2 small zucchini, quartered
- 2 1/2 c. ketchup
- 1 1/2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 TBSP dried mustard
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. water (or more) optional
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and meat, and sauté until the meat is browned.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor add the carrots and zucchini and pulse until thick puree.
- Drain the meat. While meat is draining, in the same skillet used to brown the meat, add the pureed vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the ketchup through brown sugar and toss to combine. Add the meat back to skillet and toss to combine.
- If eating straight from skillet, add 1/4 c. water (or desired amount), taste and adjust seasoning.
- If adding to crockpot, add the mixture to the crockpot (don’t add the water), cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours.