This is a tasty, hearty, and super easy version of the slow cooked classic: chicken and dumplings. Be sure to use low sodium broth, and if you don’t I would suggest using half broth half water, otherwise it will be too salty (trust me–there is plenty of salt in the rotisserie chicken, cream of chicken soup, and dumplings).
This dish makes for a great weeknight meal, as it only took about 30 minutes to prepare, and that’s from start to finish!
Recipe is adapted from the January 2010 issue of Southern Living.
- 4 c. LOW SODIUM chicken broth
- 3 c. shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken)
- 1 10.75 oz. can reduced fat cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 10.2 oz. can refrigerated jumbo buttermilk biscuits
- 1 c. carrots, diced
- 1 c. celery, diced
- pepper, to taste
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and return to a low boil.
- Place biscuits on a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat each biscuit to 1/8 inch thickness; cut into 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Drop strips, 1 at a time, into boiling broth mixture. Add carrots and celery. Cover and reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.
- Season with pepper.
Easy Chicken and Dumplings: