This chicken taco filling is quite good, and it’s made in the crockpot. It’s important to use a flavorful salsa (I used Arriba! Fire Roasted Mexican Chipotle Salsa), and DO NOT use a mild salsa as there just isn’t enough flavor.
After the dish is cooked squeeze some fresh lime juice to give the dish a nice bright flavor, and then adjust the seasoning. Since all salsas are different you may need to add some additional salt.
Next time I think I’ll try adding some ground cumin to the crockpot.
- 1 bag of frozen corn
- 2 large frozen chicken breasts
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 16 oz jar of medium salsa
- 1-2 limes, juiced
- salt to taste
- Top tacos with: avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, cheese, sour cream guacamole etc.
- Spray your crock with cooking spray; then add the frozen corn; then add the frozen chicken breasts; then add the black beans; then top with the salsa. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour and then turn to LOW for 4 hours.
- Shred the chicken and then add the lime juice and salt and any other seasonings you like.
Southwest Chicken Taco Filling: