We like chili mac. What’s not to like? Chili with pasta and cheese. This is by far our favorite version, which comes from the Tex-Mex Cookbook. The taco seasoning mix is delicious and would be great for straight up taco meat…beef or chicken…or any recipe that calls for a taco seasoning packet.
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 c. green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 14.5 oz. can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 3/4 c. uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 packet of taco seasoning mix, or homemade recipe below
- 3/4 c. water
- Grated cheese
Taco Seasoning Mix:
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- Brown meat with bell pepper, onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, macaroni, and taco seasoning, and add 3/4 c. water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover tightly, and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is done to taste.
- Remove the pan from heat and season to taste. Top with grated cheese, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving to allow the cheese to melt.
Tex-Mex Chili Mac: