Here’s a great dish to get into the Halloween spirit…delicious chili topped with festive Halloween shaped cheese slices. To accompany the chili, I made my cornbread recipe in a silicone baking pan–shapes were leaves and pumpkins. Everyone loved the cornbread too…-s even said he liked the cornbread better from the silicone pan. I’ve never used a silicone pan before, but I was very pleased with the result. Somehow the cornbread had a crisp bottom, sides, and tops…I’m definitely motivated to buy some more silicone baking pans.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey or beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. salt
1 28 oz can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can spicy chili beans, undrained
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Cheese and Halloween cookie cutters
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet; add onions and meat; cook for a few minutes, then add spices (chili powder through salt), and continue cooking until meat is cooked.
- Meanwhile add the can of whole tomatoes to your crockpot insert and break up the tomatoes with your hands; then add the tomato sauce and both cans of beans. When the meat mixture is done add the meat to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- Slice your cheese and use your Halloween themed cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Top each bowl of chili with a cheese cut out.
Spooky Slow-Cooked Chili: