This recipe comes from the July 2005 issue of Cooking Light. We made this back in 2005 and just made it again. Since we were having the flatbreads as our main course, I felt that the recipe needed just a little help. The big change I made to the recipe this time around is that I added fresh mozzarella cheese, which really put this recipe over the top. It’s exceptionally tasty!!!
The faltbreads would work really well with hummus or any time you would use fresh pitas. The flatbread is much better than any store purchased pita bread!
Ingredients for Flatbreads:
- 2.25 cups bread flour, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 2 TBSP warm water (100 to 110 degrees), divided
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 TBSP bread flour
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups sliced tomatoes (I used grape and cherry tomatoes)
- 1 cup finely chopped basil
- fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Lightly spoon four into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup water and yest in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk; let stand 30 minutes. Stir in 2 cups flour, remaining 1/2 cup water, 1 TBSP oil and 3/4 tsp salt. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; sprinkle with 1 TBSP flour (dough will feel slightly tacky). Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes). You may need to add a small amount of water to your dough, depending on the weather conditions.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with olive oil, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Working with one portion at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent drying), roll each portion into a 6 inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough circles on a grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill 2 minutes on each side or until golden and crisp.
- To prepare topping, combine the vinegar, 1 TBSP oil, 1/2 tsp salt, pepper and garlic in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add tomatoes and toss gently to coat.
- On each grilled flatbread, place fresh mozzarella, a 1/2 cup of tomato mixture, and 2 TBSP of the fresh basil.
Grilled Flatbreads with Tomatoes and Basil: