Recipe adapted from Half Baked Harvest.
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef, chicken, or turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP smoked paprika
- 1 TBSP unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (8 oz.) cans tomato paste
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- Sugar to taste (about 1 TBSP)
- Serve over pasta with: shredded sharp cheddar cheese, chopped onions, and kidney beans
- Heat a large heavy bottom soup pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion and cook about 5 minutes or until it begins to caramelize around the edges. Use your hands to crumble the ground meat into the pot. Brown the meat, breaking up the meat as you go.
- Once the meat is browned, add in the chili powder, smoked paprika, cocoa powder, cumin, allspice, cloves, salt, cayenne, cinnamon and garlic powder. Give it a good stir and let cook about a minute or two. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, and sugar.
- Stir everything to combine. Simmer, covered for at least 3 hours or up to all day over low heat. The longer the better. Alternatively you can transfer the chili to a crockpot and cook on low all day.
- Serve over pasta with cheese, onions, and kidney beans.