These muffins are beyond delicious. They are moist and flavorful and you would never know that they are healthyish!
Think banana bread meets maple frosting.
Think muffin meets cupcake.
I combined two different recipes to create these muffins.
- 2 c. whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 large ripe bananas (about 1 3/4 c. mashed)
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/4 c. coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c. plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on muffins before baking, optional
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. maple extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Milk or heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350*F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners, spray with cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Peel the bananas and mash with a fork. Place the mashed bananas in a large bowl. Add the brown sugar, coconut oil, egg, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined. Slowly stir in the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fill muffin liners three-quarters full. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- For the frosting: whisk melted butter and powdered sugar. Add extracts, whisk until smooth. Add milk or heavy whipping cream (to desired consistency…start with just a small amount (1-2 tsp.) at a time and add more, if necessary), whisk until smooth. Immediately frost completely cooled muffins.