Steve eats granola on his yogurt every morning for breakfast. I usually just buy granola (because really, why bother making your own?), but then I came across this recipe and I knew I had to try it out.
I am a convert and will now be making homemade granola!
If you like Almond Joys, you will love this granola!!! It is so good, and surprisingly easy to make.
Recipe adapted from A Spicy Perspective.
- 2 c. rolled oats
- 1 ½ c. sliced almonds
- 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. honey + additional to drizzle
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ c. (more or less to your liking) large unsweetened (you can use sweetened if you want) coconut flakes
- ¾ c. mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix the oats, almonds, cocoa powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, honey, vanilla, and sweetened coconut in a bowl. Line a 9×13 jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- Spread the granola out into a thin even layer. Bake for 10 minutes. Mix with a spatula, drizzle additional honey; then spread the granola out again and bake another 10 minutes. (If you don’t mix the sweetened coconut in step 1; then sprinkle the coconut over the top of the granola and bake another 3-5 minutes to toast (if you use sweetened coconut and didn’t mix in step 1 it will take longer to toast). Watch the coconut – it burns very quickly!
- Once the coconut is toasted, remove the granola from the oven and mix. Cool completely; then mix in the mini chocolate chips. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Almond Joy Granola: