Oh man do these meatballs remind me of dinners at Grandma Clark’s! Good memories!! I call these meatballs sweet and sour, because that’s what it reminds me of. I’ve adapted the sauce recipe a bit more to my liking as I like a sauce (lots of sauce) with bold flavors.
Definitely a family favorite and makes great leftovers!
You can serve these meatballs over rice or egg noodles.
- 2 lb. lean ground meat (I use ground turkey or chicken)
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 envelope of dry onion soup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried celery flakes
- 2 c. vinegar
- 2 c. water
- 3/4 – 1 c. sugar (use juice of 20 oz pineapple chunks can)
- 2 c. ketchup
- 2 envelopes dry onion soup mix
- 1 c. (or 1 bag) raisins or craisins (or omit and add an additional 1/2 c. sugar)
- 1 20 oz. can pineapple chunks from above (can omit if desire)
- Hot rice or egg noodles
- Meat: Mix meat through celery flakes together.
- Sauce: Combine vinegar through raisins and pineapple in a large pot.
- Roll meat mixture into walnut sized meatballs and place them in the pot. Cover and simmer for 1 hour in the sauce.
- Serve over rice or egg noodles.
Grandma’s Sweet and Sour Meatballs:
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.