Oh man do these meatballs remind me of dinners at Grandma Clark’s! Good memories!! I call these meatballs sweet and sour, because that’s what it reminds me of. I’ve adapted the sauce recipe a bit more to my liking as I like a sauce with bold flavors.
You can serve these meatballs over rice or egg noodles.
- 2 lb. lean ground meat
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 envelope of dry onion soup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried celery flakes
- 1 c. vinegar
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 c. sugar (use juice of 20 oz pineapple chunks can)
- 1 c. ketchup
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 c. raisins or craisins (or omit and add an additional 1/2 c. sugar)
- 1 20 oz can pineapple chunks from above (can omit if desire)
- Hot rice or egg noodles
- Meat: Mix meat through celery flakes together.
- Sauce: Combine vinegar through raisins and pineapple in a large pot.
- Roll meat mixture into walnut sized meatballs and place them in the pot. Cover and simmer for 1 hour in the sauce.
- Serve over rice or egg noodles.
Grandma’s Sweet and Sour Meatballs: