Black beans and rice are a great winter food. They are warming and very filling. They are also very healthy. The key to this dish is to soak the black beans in water over night.
- 1 lb. dried black beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1-2 jalapenos, diced (can omit)
- 2 TBSP dried oregano
- 6-7 c. chicken or veggie broth
- Hot cooked Rice
- Pico de gallo to top the dish (simply mix some tomatoes, onion, cilantro, garlic, salt and lime juice together)
- Place black beans in a pot and cover them with water and soak overnight.
- Place soaked beans, onion, garlic, jalapenos, oregano, and broth in a slow cooker, and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or until beans are soft and tender. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve over hot rice and top with pico de gallo.
Black Beans and Rice: