I love fruit desserts. What happens when my kiddos pick out apples at the grocery store and then refuse to eat them when we get home? The apples find their way into something delicious, and tonight it was apple crisp. Delicious on its own or topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 5 c. apples, sliced thinly
- 4 TBSP white sugar
- 1 TBSP lemon (or lime) juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 c. rolled oats (regular or instant)
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 c. cold butter, cut into small pieces
- Top with whipped cream or ice cream
- In a large bowl combine the apples, white sugar, lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.
- Topping: in a small bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, 1 tsp. cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter. Combine the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray (I used a 7 x 9ish dish). Add apple mixture and top with the topping.
Bake uncovered in a 375 for 30 to 35 minutes, or until apples are tender and topping is golden.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.