I had a tube of polenta I wanted to use up, and I also wanted to try something new, since it seems like for the last couple of months I’ve been making mostly family favorites. I came across a recipe that sounded really good to me, so I gave it a whirl, and it was really good, and it also was really good as leftovers. Served with a tossed green salad and a fruit salad, this was a very satisfying and delicious meal.
Adapted from Simply Recipes. Original recipe from Sunset Magazine.
- 5 1/2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning
- 1 med yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper (red, green, orange or yellow), thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 lb. Italian turkey sausage (removed from casings), sweet or spicy or Italian spiced ground turkey
- 1 tube (16oz.) prepared polenta, 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 lb. (8 ounces) fresh mozzarella, 1/4-inch slices
- Heat 3 Tbsp of oil in a 2-3 qt saucepan on medium heat. Add tomatoes and Italian seasoning, simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes, or until thick.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Cover the pan, lower the heat to medium, and cook until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage, stirring and breaking it into small pieces as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Cover the pan and cook until vegetables are tender and the sausage is cooked through, about 5-8 more minutes. Add the tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While veggies and sausage are cooking, preheat broiler, and coat the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking pan with a 1 Tbsp oil. Add the polenta slices to the pan. Coat the top of the polenta with the remaining 1/2 Tbsp oil. Broil the polenta about 4 inches from the heating element until golden brown and crispy, about 10-15 minutes.
- Pour sauce over broiled polenta, then arrange Mozzarella slices over the top and return the casserole to the broiler. Broil until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Polenta Sausage Bake: