This is the best homemade mac-n-cheese we’ve ever had! It is that good!!! I found the recipe at pimp my dinner, and everyone loved it. Since my kiddos love hot dogs with mac-n-cheese I cut up some hot dogs and threw them in at the end, but you can certainly leave them out.
- 4 TBSP butter
- 4 TBSP flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 c. milk
- 3 c. cheddar cheese, grated
- 16 oz. light sour cream
- 1 box small macaroni noodles (I used a 13.25 oz. box of whole wheat noodles, but you could certainly use a 16 oz. box)
- Start boiling water for your noodles.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add flour, salt and pepper and stir constantly with a whisk until smooth (it will be a bit grainy); then GRADUALLY add milk and whisk continuously, until all combined with no lumps remaining. By this time your water should be boiling, add noodles.
- Once you have added all the milk and the mixture is smooth, add cheese and keep whisking until smooth. Add the sour cream and repeat. Taste and add more salt and/or pepper, if desired. Do not let the creamy mixture boil, remove from heat once it starts to do so. When noodles are done, drain and add to skillet and toss to combine. Add some hot dogs if you’d like. Serve with steamed broccoli and fruit.
Creamiest Macaroni and Cheese: