I love strawberry shortcake. We created these sweet biscuits, and they are delicious with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Not surprisingly our children inhaled this dessert!
- 3 pints strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 2 TBSP granulated sugar
- Whipped Cream for serving
- Sprinkle strawberries with sugar and allow to sit at least 1 hour at room temperature and up to 6 hours refrigerated.
Sweet Shortcake Biscuits:
- 2 c. flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup half-and-half, or substitute whole milk or heavy cream
- 1/4 cup water
- Sugar sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut shortening in with pastry blender or two knives. Mix half-and-half and water and stir quickly into flour mixture. The dough will not be combined at this point. You don’t want to over mix, because over mixing causes a tougher less flaky biscuit.
- Dump out on floured board and pat about 1 inch thick. Cut with 3-inch cutter and put on ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. If desired, top with sugar sprinkles. Bake until biscuits are browned, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Split warm biscuits open. Spoon about 1/2 c. berries on top of each biscuit bottom and mound about 1/4 c. whipped cream over the berries. Set biscuit tops on top of each mound.
Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits: