Originally I was going to make Dilled Chicken Fricasse with New Potatoes and Asparagus for dinner, but -s decided he really wanted to smoke chicken legs. I really needed to use up the asparagus and potatoes, and since the dill in our garden is exploding, we needed to use some of that too. So I created this delicious potato salad. It’s served room temperature, and it doesn’t have mayo, which makes it a good dish to bring for a picnic or potluck where the dish is going sit out for a while.
It wasn’t until we were eating dinner that I realized the flavor components of the potato salad are very similar to the dilled chicken fricasse recipe…no wonder I loved it!
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp. salt (plus more for the potatoes and asparagus)
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh dill
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. new potatoes
- 1 lb. asparagus
- Combine the garlic through the olive oil in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cook the asparagus (either in boiling water or in the microwave), until for tender. Depending on the size of the potato, either halve or quarter them and season with salt.
- Steam the asparagus, until fork tender. Cut the asparagus into 2 inch pieces and season with salt.
- Combine the potatoes and asparagus in a bowl and pour dressing over. Toss to combine and serve room temperature.
Dilled Potato Salad with Asparagus: