On Friday, the kiddos and I were at the grocery store, as I needed to pick something up for dinner. I was going to make a taco salad with one of those roasted chickens, when all of a sudden, our oldest requested burgers. I thought about it, and said ok, but then I was too lazy to put everything back, so I decided to make Santa Fe Burgers, and boy were they tasty! The burgers had a salsa mayo, roasted poblanos, caramelized onions, and guacamole…I forgot to add the pepperjack cheese, but we didn’t miss the cheese!
- 1 polbano, roasted and sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 lb. hamburger, formed into 4 patties
- 2 avocados
- 2 TBSP onion, minced
- 2 TBSP tomatoes, choped
- 1 TBSP cilantro, minced
- 1 TBSP jalapeno, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c. mayo
- 1/4 c. salsa
- POBLANO AND ONION Roast poblanos on the grill or under the broiler until charred on all sides. Transfer to a ziploc bag and let steam for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove skin and seeds, and slice. Meanwhile, saute onion in some olive oil until onions caramelize.
- BURGERS: Form Patties and season with salt and pepper. Grill.
- GUACAMOLE: mash the avocados with a fork, then add onion, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno, and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- MAYO: combine mayo and salsa. You can also substitute chipotle peppers for the salsa.
- Assembly: spread the salsa mayo on the bun, add burger, top with poblano peppers, onions, and guac. Enjoy!
Sante Fe Burgers: