I found this recipe over at the Picky Palate food blog, and this afternoon my kiddos and I made it, and it was delicious. Not surprisingly it is grown up and kid approved! It’s really easy to make, but mine took a lot longer to bake than the directions indicate.
- 1 Box Yellow Cake Mix (plus ingredients on back of box)
- 2 Sticks cold butter
- 2 1/4 c. flour
- 1 1/2 TBSP cinnamon
- 1 ¾ c.sugar
- 1 1/2 TBSP vanilla
- Powdered sugar (for dusting)
- PREHEAT oven to 350.
- PREPARE cake mixe in large bowl according to directions on box. Spray 9X13 pan with non-stick spray. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until center is just barely set (mine was at the 25+ minute mark and wasn’t really set in the center). I’ll probably use my larger 9×16 pan next time–by the time the cake and topping is added it was nearly over flowing in the 9×13.
- WHILE cake is baking, prepare crumb topping. In large bowl of electric mixer combine, butter, flour, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla until all crumbly.
- IMMEDIATELY after cake is removed from oven, break crumb topping into marble size pieces with fingers, sprinkling over top. Put back in oven and bake an additional 10-15 minutes and the topping will begin to look a little less wet/raw (mine was in for 20+ minutes). Let cool fully then dust with powdered sugar, using a sieve.