Not the prettiest dish in the world but it was really good. Last month we bought a big package of grilling steak, and we portioned it up and froze it. We grilled one of them up, and either the meat was not that great to begin with or it didn’t hold up well to freezing, because it was kind of tough.
When I was trying to figure out what to cook this week it occurred to me that the frozen steaks would be great in the crock pot. So the inspiration for this recipe comes from Crockery Cookery. I changed it quite a bit, and the recipe below reflects the changes. Cooking time is going to vary with the type of meat you use. If you use a stew meat, cook it on low for 6-7 hours. If you have a more tender cut (the kind you would just grill), cook on high for 2-3 hours.
Not only did it taste really good, but our 3 year old devoured it…in fact, he had 3 servings. Quite an accomplishment getting that much meat into him. Definitely kid approved!
- 1 pound steak, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
- 1 (20oz) can unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained, and reserve juice
- 1/4 c. finely grated or minced gingerroot
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 2 TBSP oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
- 2 TBSP cornstarch (you can use less if you like a thinner sauce)
- remaining juice from the pineapple
- Cooked rice
- Place onions on bottom of crock pot, and then place the sliced meat on top of the onions.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, 1/4 pineapple juice, gingerroot, sugar, oil and garlic.
- Pour sauce over meat.
- Cook on high for 2.5 hours.
- After 2.5 hours, stir in pineapple.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining pineapple juice in a small bowl; add to crock pot. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened. Serve over rice.