This recipe comes from Rick Bayless’ Salsas that Cook cookbook. This cookbook has 6 core salsa recipes, and each recipe in the cookbook utilizes one of the 6 salsas. I chose to make the Today’s Macaroni and Cheese-It’s not just for kids recipe with the Roasted Poblano-Tomato Salsa. Salsa was good. Mac-n-Cheese was good. Probably won’t be making either of them again, but maybe your tastes differ from ours.
Roasted Poblano-Tomato Salsa
- 1 lb. ripe tomatoes
- 2 medium poblanos
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 c. tomato puree
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 TBSP cilantro
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp. salt
- Broil poblanos and tomatoes until they blister and blacken. Turn so there is an even roast. Remove and place poblanos in a ziploc bag for 10 minutes.
- Turn oven to 425. On a baking sheet roast the onion and garlic, until richly browned-about 15 minutes.
- Remove poblanos from bag and peel the charred skin from the pepper. Remove the stem and seeds.
- In a food processor, pulse onion, garlic, poblanos, tomatoes until its chunky. Pour salsa into bowl. Add tomato puree, water, cilantro, thyme, and salt.
Today’s Macaroni and Cheese-It’s not just for kids
- 2 c. milk
- 4 TBSP butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 cups Roasted Poblano-Tomato Salsa
- 3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp. slat
- 1 lb dried pasta
- 2 TBSP cilantro for garnish
- Prepare pasta as directed
- Warm the milk, either in the microwave or on the stove
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, then stir in the flour and whisk until the mixture turns deep gold, about 2 minutes. Add the warmed milk all at once and continue to whisk constantly until the mixture thickens and comes to a full boil, 4 to 5 minutes. (Whisk diligently and there will be no lumps.) Stir in the salsa, remove from heat, then add the cheese and stir until it melts. Taste and season with salt.
- Once pasta is cooked, return the pasta to the pot. Stir in the cheese sauce, then spoon into a serving dish. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Your can also put the mac-n-cheese into a buttered baking dish. Top with buttered bread crumbs and bake at 375 until browned, about 10-12 minutes.
Today’s Macaroni and Cheese-It’s not just for kids: