This recipe comes from Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook, and the recipe was quite a disappointment. I had high hopes for it, but it fell short on many levels, primarily it was too sweet. Maybe if you leave out the brown sugar it would taste good, but even so, I’m not willing to give it a second chance.
- 2 15 ounce cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 TBSP firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 medium size shallot, minced
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- pinch of ground cinnamon or cardamom
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Hot cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- Combine the beans, brown sugar, shallot, celery, oj, broth, cumin, and cinnamon in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for about 1.5 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot ladled over rice, and garnished with the cilantro and tomatoes.
Orange Black Bean with Cumin Recipe